The Underground Trial
|The Underground Trial|
|Team Size||12-24 players|
Imperial Defense Force
The Underground Trial is the fourth Incarnate Trial, released with Issue 21: Convergence, which takes place in First Ward, Praetoria. A maximum of 24 players can raid the Underground. Chronologically, this trial takes place after the Keyes Island Reactor Trial and concurrently with the content of First Ward.
During the mission, a voice will "radio in" information about your progress. While there is no specific contact (the trial is entered entirely through the LFG menu), it is possible that your unseen helper is meant to be Prometheus as he was added in Issue 20 to recruit Incarnate-capable players to wage a war against Emperor Cole and end his quest to become more in-tune with the Well of the Furies.
Both types of Incarnate Experience are gained towards unlocking the Incarnate Slots.
The all but abandoned subway and access tunnels beneath Praetoria has been the home to the Resistance, working from below the city to slowly bring it down. Desdemona plans to meet a group of Incarnates and lead them through the tunnels into the belly of the beast to rescue Vanessa DeVore from the monsters that dwell there alongside the Resistance. However, the passage is not without its perils and is guarded heavily by the IDF lest anyone finds out one of Praetoria's darkest secrets.
After defeating an Extinction War Walker or two, and a score of the IDF, the allies find that Vanessa DeVore has already been slain, and that an Avatar of Hamidon killed her to keep her silent. However, Desdemona dons her fallen mask when the beast has been defeated and finds out that Emperor Cole made a deal with the Hamidon to keep it at bay, a deal that forced Praetoria's Marcus Cole to attempt the destruction of Primal Earth to keep his end of the bargain!
The Underground Trial is a long, multi-phase assault on the belly of Praetoria.
The League must team up with Desdemona to clear the initial groups of IDF in order to gain access to the Underground proper.
Desdemona can't keep a psychic lock on the location of Vanessa DeVore, and must perform a ritual to strengthen the link. Keep her safe!
The League must proceed deeper into the tunnels, fighting more IDF troops.
This phase pits the League against the Extinction War Walker, a difficult foe who guards access to the lower portions of the Underground.
The Devouring Earth make their first appearance, springing a trap on Desdemona. Clear the room to free her and proceed.
After freeing Desdemona:
Another set of tunnels prepares the League for a fight with the Self-Repairing War Walker, a difficult foe who, when defeated, respawns as a Lichen-Infused War Walker. Both AVs must be defeated before the League can proceed to the next phase.
After defeating the War Walkers:
The tunnels in the next phase are emit toxic spores that will overwhelm the League if they tarry too long. The Incarnates are then faced with multiple proximity bomb booby-traps. Best to safely snipe them from range to proceed.
The final phase pits the League against the Avatar of Hamidon. Stay close to Desdemona so she can protect you from its attacks.
|Desdemona: Vanessa is close. I can feel the remnants of her essence in this room.
Desdemona: The wall! It's moving! What... what is that monstrosity!?
After defeating the Avatar:
Desdemona: The truce is broken. The Hamidon is coming and nothing can dissuade it from devouring all humanity.
|Underground Seeker||Complete The Underground Trial|
|Regenerate This||Defeat the Self-Repairing War Walker and Lichen Infested War Walker within 8 minutes of starting the fight|
|Tour Guide||Don't let Desdemona's health go below 50%|
|Preservation Specialist||Don't let any of the IDF bombs detonate|
|Avatar Assassin||Defeat the Avatar of Hamidon at the same time as a Detonating Seedling|
|Master of the Underground||Earn the Regenerate This, Tour Guide, Preservation Specialist, and Avatar Assassin badges|
- Physical Incarnate & Psychic Incarnate Experience is earned, which unlocks the Alpha, Interface, Judgement, Destiny and Lore Slots, if any of these slots are locked.
- Incarnate Threads drop instead of Incarnate Shards.
- 60 Incarnate Threads are awarded immediately after defeating both the Self-Repairing War Walker and the Lichen Infested War Walker before the 20 minute timer is up in the second part of phase 4.
- Upon successful completion of this trial, each character is presented with a reward table allowing them to choose one reward from several options. There is a participation threshold that must be met in order to receive an Incarnate Component table instead of a 10 Threads or one Super-level inspiration "consolation prize".
- Players who are present for the entire trial are guaranteed a Rare or Very Rare Incarnate Component reward table upon completion.
- If a character surpasses the "consolation prize" threshold, but was not present for the entire trial, the rarity of the component reward is a random roll. The options available will either be a choice of: one Common component or two Super-level inspirations, one Uncommon component or three Super-level inspirations, one Rare component or four Super-level inspirations, or one Very Rare component or five Super-level inspirations.
- A random Uncommon Incarnate Component is awarded the first time each achievement badge is qualified for.
- A random Rare Incarnate Component is awarded the first time the Master of the Underground badge is qualified for.
- Two Empyrean Merits will be awarded upon successful completion of the Trial once per 20 hour period.
- Three Astral Merits will be awarded immediately after defeating the Extinction War Walker.
- Two Astral Merits will be awarded immediately after defeating the Self-Repairing War Walker.
- Two Astral Merits will be awarded immediately after defeating the Lichen Infested War Walker.
- Two Astral Merits will be awarded immediately after defeating the Avatar of Hamidon.
- An additional Astral Merit can be rewarded at the end of the trial for running as an Open League.
- An additional Astral Merit can be earned if the requirements for the Regenerate This badge are fulfilled, even if you already have the badge. It is awarded at the end of the trial.
- An additional Astral Merit can be earned if the requirements for the Tour Guide badge are fulfilled, even if you already have the badge. It is awarded at the end of the trial.
- An additional Astral Merit can be earned if the requirements for the Preservation Specialist badge are fulfilled, even if you already have the badge. It is awarded at the end of the trial.
- An additional Astral Merit can be earned if the requirements for the Avatar Assassin badge are fulfilled, even if you already have the badge. It is awarded at the end of the trial.
- The Underground Trial Strategy
- Visual Guide: The Underground Trial
- Strategy Guide by Chris "Baryonyx" Behrens